The EX-Parrot

The interesting adventures of Karl and Bernard. They were once remarkable birds, Norwegian Blues with beautiful plumage but are now passed on...They are shortly to be replaced by slugs. Until then: Their lives through the eyes of the EX-Parrot.

Tuesday, August 08, 2006

An Experiment

So, I, the EX-Parrot want to find out how to put big things in my wondrous blog AND see the EX-Parrot film on the side bar. This is part of a plot to do so.

-The VERY CLEVER EX-Parrot

I am going to put many quotes in...wonderful ones, of course, to see if I can solve the problem. If I can't you shall all benefit from the amazing quotes.




Courage is not simply one of the virtues, but the form of every virtue at the testing point.
-C.S. Lewis, The Screwtape Letters

'Good bye, master, my dear!' he murmured. 'Forgive your Sam. He'll come back to this spot when the job's done -- if he manages it. And then he'll not leave you again. Rest you quiet till I come; and may no foul creature come anigh you! And if the Lady could hear me and give me one wish, I would wish to come back and find you again. Good bye!'
-J.R.R. Tolkien, The Two Towers

ABRIDGE, v.t. To shorten. "When in the course of human events it becomes necessary for people to abridge their king, a decent respect for the opinions of mankind requires that they should declare the causes which impel them to the separation." -Oliver Cromwell
-Ambrose Bierce, The Devil's Dictionary

"No," said George. "No, Lennie. I ain't mad. I never been mad, an' I ain't now. That's a thing I want ya to know."
-John Steinbeck, Of Mice and Men

By a curious confusion, many modern critics have passed from the proposition that a masterpiece may be unpopular to the other proposition that unless it is unpopular it cannot be a masterpiece.
- G. K. Chesterton

Since my dear soul was mistress of her choice,
And could of men distinguish her election,
Sh'ath seal'd thee for herself; for thou hast been
As one, in suff'ring all, that suffers nothing,
A man that Fortune's buffets and rewards
Hast ta'en with equal thanks; and blest are those
Whose blood and judgement are so well commeddled
That they are not a pipe for Fortune's finger
To sound what stop she please. Give me that man
That is not passion's slave, and I will wear him
In my heart's core, ay, in my heart of heart,
As I do thee.
-Wm. Shakespeare, Hamlet

If men were ever in a state in which they did not want to know or could not perceive truth (facts or evidence), then Fantasy would languish until they were cured. If they ever get into that state (it would not seem at all impossible), Fantasy will perish, and become Morbid Delusion.
– J.R.R. Tolkien, On Fairy Stories

"I wish to make a complaint about this parrot what I purchased not half an hour ago from this very boutique."
"Oh yes, the Norwegian Blue. What's wrong with it?"
"I'll tell you what's wrong with it. It's dead, that's what wrong with it."
-John Cleese and Michael Palin, Monty Python's Flying Circus

Tonight 'Spectrum' examines the whole question of frothing and falling, coughing and calling, screaming and bawling, walling and stalling, galling and mauling, palling and hauling, trawling and squalling and zalling. Zalling? Is there a word zalling? If there is what does it mean...if there isn't what does it mean? Perhaps both. Maybe neither. What do I mean by the word mean? What do I mean by the word word, what do I mean by what do I mean, what do I mean by do, and what do I do by mean? What do I do by do by do and what do I do by wasting your time like this? Goodnight.
-Michael Palin, Flying Circus

3 Comments:

At 6:25 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What on earth were you trying to do?!

 
At 1:17 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

take a wild guesss

 
At 1:42 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm not that bright has no idea...so don't listen to him

 

Post a Comment

<< Home